Monday, August 20, 2012

Here is one of my favorite pieces.  I had the assistance of my right hand man and voice of reason, my dad.  If it was not for him this would have turned out upside down and backward.  For anyone who knows me, my dad and I are similar but also very different.  I am someone who never reads directions and always very eager to finish the project even if there are several pieces left over.  My father and I could not be more different in this regard.  He will read directions over and over, then start to work, then go back and read again if something feels a bit off.  I think this is why we make a good team when it comes to our carpentry projects.  One thing that works in my favor is, there are no directions.  They are all in my head.
  

This piece follows suit with using reclaimed material.  The material used for this table, which currently resides in my own house, hits very close to home.  This entire table was built from my parents old deck that was replaced this past spring.  I originally had plans, in my head, to build a four poster bed from the reclaimed material.  While that still may be a reality I am very happy with the way the dining table turned out. 


After building the frame with 2x4s I cut the reclaimed deck railing at 45 degree angles to frame in the table top.  This was then filled with the remaining wood which created the full top.


This is the completed table top that was awaiting its legs.  The legs were also salvaged from the deck and were made from the 30 year old deck posts.  These 6x6 legs completed the rustic look and required no detailing.  This table turned out great but provided many challenges that have helped me develop my carpentry skills. 


Starting material

1 comment: